In his will he left his house to his brother, Francis, who lived at Fir Grove. He gave Rockwood to one of his daughters, Edith, who moved into the house after her marriage to M. J.S. Wilson, a poultry farmer. Here their only child, a daughter named Jean, was born on 5th May, 1932.
The family lived at Rockwood until 1947. For most of this time they employed a gardener and three maids. The maids “lived in”, sleeping in the attic or the small upstairs room at the back of the house to the right of the stairs. These rooms had easy access to the back stairs which ran down under the attic stairs emerging in the dining room where there is now a cupboard.
The other three upstairs rooms were all bedrooms and the small room over the porch (Sensory Room) was Mr. Wilson’s dressing room, with a door leading from it into one of the front bedrooms. What is now the staff toilet was a bathroom, and the Parents' Room next door to it, Jean Wilson’s bedroom. The stairs boasted a red carpet and the banister provided excitement for the children who enjoyed sliding down.
Downstairs there was a kitchen (Owl Room, where the pidgeon holes are), a dining room (Owl Room), a drawing room and a family living room, the latter two being made into one big room (Squirrel Room) when the house was turned into a nursery school. The drawing room, which overlooked the front garden, was used only for children’s parties and for drinks after church on Sundays.
In the grounds around the house were stables, a boiler house by the back wall and a wash house (where the Hedgehog building and Sensory Yard is now). There was a small cottage adjoining the side of the house next door. All these buildings were demolished and the stones used to build the toilet block of the nursery.
In the back yard wall was a gateway, near to where the Hedgehog building is now situated. This led to stone steps, that can still be seen, which, in turn, led to the area of land behind the nursery which was part of Rockwood’s garden. Here, as well as lawns and flower beds, there was a tennis court.
Following the family's move in the 1940's the building was bought by Burnley Council and converted into a nursery school. It was then passed to Lancashire County Council control some years later.
You can read more about our history in a booklet (pdf) written in the 1990s